Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Well its fall now and I have had a busy summer.

This summer I went to the Olympic Training Center in Lake Placid, New York for a 3 day camp hosted by DSUSA. I learned a lot of new stretches this year while at the camp. Met a great group of people and got a lot of new information on how to make my self a better Athlete.

When I got back from the Camp, I started a part time job which allowed me to save money for a new mono ski. I have been training with Jon Bottomms at the Vermont Country Store's gym 3 times a week. We have been doing a variety of different exercises and cardio training as well. Back in June, Jon got contacted by the Vermont Special Olympics committee to do a demonstration of the Martial Arts System and show that it could be done by many different athletes. Jon asked me to participate in the demonstration with him because I am a sitting athlete and there are many different techniques that can be used for someone who isn't able to stand.

After helping Jon with the demonstration I was approached by my local town of Bennington to help coach the athletes for the stand up soccer season, so I have been volunteering to do that ones a week with the skills group. We work on moving the ball down the field with out a lot of interception by other players and help them build confidence to be able to go out and play in the game for the following year.

I have also volunteered to do a little bit of kayaking and cycling demonstrations with the Bart Center in Manchester this summer to get more out in the community.

I have been riding my hand cycle with a group of guys out of Manchester and Bennington area weekly, and now I am looking forward to my new mono ski coming in December and getting ready for ski season.

No comments: